Saturday, June 6, 2009

This blog's beginning

I created this blog to report interesting facts, topics, and explorations of the geosciences. I hope to include my adventures, photos from hiking trips, recent geology in the news, geology lab related information, and commentary on this blog.

The topography is essentially a complex expression of the interactions between tectonics and erosion. To start, I wanted to post this amazing digital image of the Himalaya, the field location I am investigating as part of my Masters Degree at the University of Maryland. In my research, I am most interested in assimilating geospatial and geologic information to learn about landscape evolution. I hope to spark interesting conversations on this blog about integrating GIS, digital, and satellite data into geologic studies.

MODIS image of the Nepalese Himalaya
from http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?id=4753
Credit Jacques Descloitres, MODIS Rapid Response Team, NASA/GSFC

Caption from Visible Earth: "In the top half of the image, a number of lakes glow like jewels scattered throughout southeastern China’s Plateau of Tibet. Many of the lakes show tinges of blue-green that likely indicate microscopic plant life. In the bottom half of the image, a number of major rivers flow to the southeast, eventually joining the Ganges and emptying into the Bay of Bengal (not shown). And in northern India, a gray haze of air pollution hangs over some of the most densely populated cities in the world."

3 comments:

  1. What you do sounds very interesting - and very different from what I do. I surely will be curious about what you do. Are you using any special remote sensing techniques?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lost Geologist, thank you for the post. I look forward to following your work as well.

    I am actually using contour lines digitized from a topographic map. I have not investigated to much related to specifically remote sensing. I just liked the photo of the Himalaya posted below because it shows the regional topography well. My studies focus on understanding changes in elevation. SRTM data, which are typically easy to download and aquire a digital elevation model from worldwide, have several holes in the data because near vertical topography and ice disrupt the radar signal from the satellite. So because of this problem we have to digitze contour lines to avoid holes in publically available elevation data.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used a paper printout of a digital terrain model to support my recent fieldwork. They come in quite handy in identifying old and abandoned quarries, faults, karst and landslides even in forested areas.

    ReplyDelete